TIP from FNM: Caring for the Young
- Live bearers are very easy to breed and need very little encouragement.
- The first young could possibly be born as early as four week after you introduce the male to the female. It could sometimes take even longer.
- Encourage breeding by keeping the tank without much fluctuation to temperature (about 27 degrees celcius) and providing the tank with plenty of light.
- You will be able to tell that a female is pregnant by looking at her abdomen above the anal fin.
- Pregnant females will have a swollen abdomen and a large black or gray spot in front off the anal fin, otherwise known as the gravid spot.
- Keep the adult fish well-fed while the babies are small, will keep them from developing carnivorous habits that may result them in eating babies.
- However, you can opt to remove the babies until they are able to defend themselves.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.