In practice, an accuracy of 0.1° dKH is not always necessary. KH Director offers the option to reduce the test sample volume for each test. An accuracy of approx. 0.2° dKH can still be achieved with a smaller water sample.
GHL KH Director - White
Monitor, maintain, and control Alkalinity with ease
The upkeep of Alkalinity is the most important aspect of reef keeping. If you’re looking to achieve exceptional coral growth, Alkalinity testing is a must!
Keep it steady with the new KH Director. Monitor, maintain and control Alkalinity with ease.
KH Director® – Features
Lab grade KH measurement accuracy
Measure your Alkalinity with lab-grade accuracy. With only a 100 ml water sample, KH Director® can provide measurement values with 0.1 ° dKH accuracy.
User-adjustable test sample volume
Measurements per day adjustable
If the KH value does not fluctuate strongly the number of measurements can be reduced.
Higher accuracy and safety provided by additional valves
Test your Alkalinity with confidence and consistency. Built-in valves ensure exactly the same measurement conditions and prevent the sample liquid from flowing back into the aquarium, even in the unlikely event of a fault.
Cost-effective and safe reagent fluid
Each test requires only 1 – 3 ml per measurement.
Examine past test results, catch sudden KH swings, and fine-tune your KH dosing with help from automated data logging.
Automated liquid supply
Automatic supply of KH-boosting liquids. Depending on the method one or more additional dosing pumps required.
Calcium reactor control
Alternatively, the KH value can also be influenced by controlling a calcium reactor.
LED Status Display
The on-board GHL LED logo conveniently provides color-coded status indicators. The various colors show you the condition of your system at a glance.
- White = Configuration mode
- Blue = Normal operation
- Green = Amount of liquid in a fluid container is OK
- Yellow = Warning threshold – fluid container(s) are running low
- Red = Alarm threshold – fluid container(s) are empty
myGHL cloud accessible
Access the KHD through the myGHL® cloud service – via GHL Doser 2 / 2.1 or ProfiLux 3 / 3.1 / 4.
Seamless integration w/ GHL system
Through the use of the PAB (ProfiLux Aquatic Bus) connection, KH Director® seamlessly integrates into the modular GHL aquarium system. The PAB connection ensures interference free communication with other GHL PAB-devices such as the GHL Doser 2.1 or the ProfiLux® 4.
Low maintenance design
The KH Director®’s unique design makes it easy to access and maintain the included pH electrode. Calibration and replacement, made easy.
KH value display
View your KH reading whenever, wherever you want via the ProfiLux display, ProfiLux Touch or web browser (myGHL®), additional external display unit optional.
Robust design built in laboratory quality
Every product we build is made to last the test of time. The KH Director® is no exception. Down to the finest of details, the KH Director® is build of durable material and is corresponding laboratory requirements.
KH Director® is available in two color options: Black or white
Dimensions (mm): 220 x 150 x 75 mm (w/out pH electrode)
Dimensions (in): 8.66″ x 5.9″ x 2.95″ (w/out pH electrode)
Scope of Delivery
KH Director® includes the following:
- Device with integrated measuring cell
- pH electrode, especially designed for the KHD, incl. calibration liquids
- Testing reagent 500ml
- Silicone tube 5m
- Flex-PVC tube, 70cm
- Power-supply splitter-cable
How does the KH Director® work?
The KH Director® is designed to work in conjunction with a GHL Doser 2 (2.1) Standalone or a ProfiLux® Aquarium Controller 3 or 4 with a Doser 2 (2.1) Slave for operation.
The 2 inlets and 1 outlet of the KH Director connect to 3 dosing pumps on the Doser 2 (2.1). These 3 pumps are then responsible for accurately transferring fluid to and from the KH Director.
A sample of the aquarium water is first sent to the KH Director®. Subsequently, the KH value is determined precisely with slow addition of a further liquid (reagent) and measurement of the pH value.
The sample water is then pumped out again and collected in a separate container for later disposal.
What are the costs for reagent and pH electrode?
Here at GHL we understand the importance of on-going costs involved with automated KH monitoring and control. For the KH Director it was especially important to consider these costs and develop a highly-efficient, cost-effective product. A single 1000ml bottle of reagent can last for up to 3 months when testing is performed 4x per day at a KH value of 8. The pH electrode used by the KH Director was specially designed for KH measurement and has an average lifespan of 1 – 2 years.
Controlling the KH value
KH Director® offers the most comprehensive methods and most adjustment options for the control of the KH value, and is thus suitable for different systems, eg. Balling® (Light), Triton® or kalkwasser reactor.
Depending on the difference between the target value and the current value of KH (= control difference), appropriate activities for increasing the KH value are started.
Choose the optimal mode for your aquarium and customize it individually.
The following modes are offered:
Add-on control mode
Use between 1 and 5 dosing pumps to add liquids to the aquarium depending on the control difference, KHD automatically calculates the appropriate quantities. The dosages can be time-delayed if the liquids are not to be dosed at the same time and divided into several sub-quantities per day. It is also possible that the dosing pumps used follow a dosing schedule, the quantities calculated by the KHD are then added to this dosing schedule.
Adaptive control mode
In this mode, 1 to 5 dosing pumps can also be used to add liquids to the aquarium depending on the control difference. In this mode, you set a dosing schedule for the dosing pumps involved, and the quantities of the dosing plan are varied by the KHD. If the KH value is correct, the dosing schedule remains unchanged, if the KH value is too low, all quantities of the dosing plan are increased as a percentage. If the KH value is too high, the quantities are reduced. The quantity change is dependent on the control difference and is calculated automatically.
Calcium reactor control mode
In this mode, a calcium reactor can be down-regulated depending on the KH value.
A calcium reactor is usually operated by CO2 addition and control of the pH value; the actual pH value in the calcium reactor is measured by a pH electrode. If you select this pH electrode in the KH Director Options, the KHD can switch off CO2 if necessary (KH target value reached), otherwise the normal CO2 control is activated. This mode is only possible with a ProfiLux aquarium computer.
The KH Director® can be operated in two ways:
1. The KH Director® is connected to the GHL Doser 2 (2.1) Standalone via the ProfiLux Aquatic Bus (PAB).
The KH Director® is connected to the GHL Doser 2 (2.1) Standalone via the ProfiLux Aquatic Bus (PAB).
2. The KH Director® is connected to the ProfiLux 3 (3.1, 4) and a GHL Doser 2 (2.1) Slave via the ProfiLux Aquatic Bus (PAB).
With this option, the ProfiLux has full control over the measuring process and behavior of both the GHL Doser and KH Director. The ProfiLux will control the dosing pumps in the doser and the valves in the KH Director. This will allow the controller to evaluate the measurement results and calculate the KH value.
Choose the combination that suits your needs best
Whether you prefer the GHL Doser 2.1 or the ProfiLux-Slave Doser combination: thanks to the ingenious design, all devices will fit perfectly with each other no matter if stacked or positioned side-by-side.
We also offer attractive sets for the KHD and GHL Doser combinations.
Please note that only one KHD can be controlled by one master device (ProfiLux or GHL Doser Standalone), each KHD requires one dedicated controlling device. In one system (consting of one master device and slave devices) can only one KHD be present.
KH Director Sets
Operation of the KH Director requires always a GHL Doser with at least 3 pumps, depending on the configuration either as Slave or as Standalone version.
GHL offers these sets:
- KH Director + GHL Doser 2.1 Standalone 4-way
- KH Director + GHL Doser 2.1 Slave 4-way
The sets include a PAB cable (50 cm / 19.6″).
GHL Doser 2.1 SA, 4 pumps
Keep your water values permanently stable: With GHL metering pumps the automatic addition of fluids is a breeze.
Dose trace elements, fertilizers, balling salts, or water, precisely to the milliliter. Programming is done by specifying the daily dose amount and the number of doses per day. Alternatively, you can also use timer functions if you wish to dose at specific times.
The high quality materials inside the doser ensure a long lifespan. If a pump needs to be replaced after many hours of operation, you can easily exchange it, thanks to the modular design.
The Right Model For Each Purpose
The Doser is available in versions with 2 to 4 pumps, pumps can be retrofitted at any time. Each pump can also be operated manually for easier replacement of liquids.
You can also choose the type of control:
- Autonomous Doser with integrated control electronics (Stand Alone Unit)
- The device works on its own and does not need a ProfiLux Controller for operation.
- Doser without integrated controller (Slave Unit)
- The device has an interface for connection to a ProfiLux Controller or to a Stand Alone Doser with integrated control electronics. If the Slave Doser is driven by a ProfiLux with level control, a pump can also be used for automatic level control or auto top-off.
All GHL Dosers are designed and made in Germany. From start to finish, we carry out the engineering-implementation and development of all our products. Tests for market maturity and production also take place in Germany. Our goal is to develop long-lasting and well thought-out products by considering even the smallest of details. We want to give you the most out of our equipment and help you get the most out of your hobby.
- Milliliter precision and automated dispensing
- Expandable to 16 pumps respectively metering channels
- Stainless steel motor shafts (also suitable for the dosage of Iodine)
- Chemical resistant tubing (Norprene®)
- Manual operation of each individual pump is possible
- Pumps can be retrofitted
- Individual parts can be replaced (hose, pump head, motor)
- Easily chose dosing times via software (GHL Control Center).
- Individually: Up to 8 doses per day individually set
- Each pump can be set separately
- Level indicator
- Profilux Aquatic Bus System ensures reliable and interference-free networking of all network devices, such as GHL Doser 2 und 2.1, ProfiLux Controllers, Powerbars, Expansion Boxes.
- WiFi, LAN, and USB
- Alarm function
- Large LED status indicator
- Status LED for pumps
- Convenient to program via our free PC software GCC or over our app, web, and cloud service, also free of charge
- Dimensions: 8.7" x 6" x 3" or 220 x 150 x 76 mm (without pumps)
- 4 x 24V stepper motor pumps
- Doses up to 8-45 ml / minute (precisely adjustable to 0.1 ml)
- Up to 150 doses per day
Further Reading & Troubleshooting:
- How to connect via USB – GHL (International) (aquariumcomputer.com)
- How to restore factory settings – GHL (International) (aquariumcomputer.com)
- How to connect GHL Doser SA to your network (Wi-Fi) – GHL (International) (aquariumcomputer.com)
- How to connect GHL Doser SA to your network (LAN) – GHL (International) (aquariumcomputer.com)
- GHL Doser 2.1 maintenance tips and care – GHL (International) (aquariumcomputer.com)
- KH Director Initial Setup (Part 1) – GHL (International) (aquariumcomputer.com)
- KH Director Initial Setup (Part 2) – GHL (International) (aquariumcomputer.com)
- KH Director Initial Setup (Part 3) – GHL (International) (aquariumcomputer.com)
- How to setup control via dosing pumps (Add-on/Adaptive mode) – GHL (International) (aquariumcomputer.com)
Payment & Security
Your payment information is processed securely. We do not store credit card details nor have access to your credit card information.